From:
"Bill Looyen. (Ferretologist)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 1995 20:09:03 +1200
Nina Janes.

It all started with a few cases of encephalomyelitis, paralyses in the hind
quarter moving to the front within a few day's. Autopsies dit not show any
injury's or other problems. Than a histology report was ordered and this
showed a mild attack of the distemper virus.
A vaccination program was put into operation.  I now have used Distemper
vaccines for a number of years with good and problem free success.  Here in
New Zealand, anything for ferrets is unprocurable, these animals are not
well known as pets but as a vicious, smelly and wild beast.  So I got mine
vet to supply me with a vaccine for dogs, he was not game enough to do the
40 ferrets, and not having done this work myself it turned out quiet a
experience.  The vaccines I have used sofar are: Quantum-K9-3,Canvac-3 and
Vanguard/DM.  1/4 dose of the normal dog.

[Moderator's note: Before anyone gets any ideas about dosages, note that
vaccines don't work this way: you need the same dose for a ferret than you
do for a dog.  Also see Dr. Williams' post in this issue about distemper
vaccines.  BIG]

           Regards BILL