From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:30:30 -0500
What was fed may depend on where one lived.  I lived in CA 40 years ago
and we fed our dog and cat kibble and canned.  It was readily available
on the store shelves.  My grandmother fed her dogs and cats kibble and
canned and table scraps.  Her cats caught mice and birds at times, but
didnt' eat them.  We lived in the city.

Thirty years ago, here in Kansas in agricultural country, a friend's
parents owned a farm and they fed their outside dog and cats a mixture
of table scraps, kibble, and the animals scavenged whatever else they
wanted to eat.  The rabbits that were kept were fed rabbit pellets.  I
don't remember hearing of any rabbits fed a raw diet.  With 4-H being
popular in this area there were/are lots of rabbits raised.

When we had ECE in 1996, I asked Dr. Williams for advice on feeding -
for ferrets that are not drinking or eating on their own, recommended
amount is 90 cc/lb/day (3 oz/lb/day), for ferrets that are drinking on
their own, recommended amount is 60 cc/lb/day (2 oz/lb/day), with
feeding every 4 hours.

Fortunately I have access to the vet med library and when I can find
some time I'll go over and see what I can find on nutritional
deficiency effect time-lines on ferrets.  The only way to get this type
of information would be to actually do a study that starved ferrets to
death.  Quite honestly, I'm hoping I DON'T find a study like that, for
the sake of the ferrets that would have had to endure starvation to
death.

As for wild mustelids dying young, do we know their nutritional needs
are being met since they die young?  Obviously those that die of
starvation aren't, but what about the others?

Of the domestic ferrets in my care, the majority are health compromised,
and live to about 8+ years.  I've had few that died earlier and none
were nutritional deficiencies that I or our vet am aware of.  The ferrets
in my care have insulinoma, adrenal, lymphosarcoma, IBD, cardio, and
other ferret ailments.  I've had 2 ferrets with mouth problems requiring
medical care.  My group eats kibble and recipe.  I add what I believe to
be beneficial vitamins and supplements to their recipe.  Do I believe
that kibble itself keeps my group with glossy coats, good weight and
energy?  No, which is why I feed the supplemental recipe.  My recipe
isn't raw or natural yet my group lives long and looks and acts as
healthy as their conditions and proper medical and supportive care
allows.  Others have added recipe to their feeding kibble and their
little ones gain weight, glossier coats and become more active too.

It isn't just what is fed that helps to keep ferrets healthy, it also
includes supportive and vet care, exercise, stimulation, socialization,
interaction, and love.

Bottom line, people need to do research, not just take someone's word,
before doing anything that will affect those in their care.  Each person
should make their own decision on what they want to do to make life more
enjoyable, healthier, and perhaps longer for those in their care.

I'll post whatever info I find after I visit the vet med library.

Hugs. tle (one who eats ice cream for breakfast, packaged sugary cereal
for dinner, processed meals in between, and who plans on enjoying eating
for the time I'm here) ;-)