From:
Jammy Blackburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 May 2000 08:59:09 -0700
Hi there FMLers!  About a month ago I wrote a letter to PETA asking them
about their position on ferret legalization and why, to my understanding,
they were against it.  This is what I go in response:

Dear Jammy,
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about PETA`s position
on ferrets.  Please understand that we are not anti-ferret, but we are
anti-ferret exploitation.  We do not want ferrets added to the mess we
already have with dog and cat overpopulation.  We are against ferret
breeding, and based on our experience with animal shelters, we have seen
how easy it is for ferrets to be cast out for "misbehavior", to escape and
befall horrible accidents, to bit (even when playing) and to suffer the
consequences.  When people see a ferret, sadly, they want one, no matter
how ill-suited they may be to the task of "ownership" and that desire
translates into breeding more animals in an overpopulated world.  Our
position is simply that we want animals adopted from shelters and rescuers,
not pet shops abd breeders.

Our concern isn`t the ferrets` state of domestication, our concern is what
happens to them.  I hope this had helped explain our position.  Thanks
again for writing and for all your hard work on behalf of animals.

Sincerely,
Christina hendrix
Correspondent

Ok, am i the only person who sees something off about that?  I wrote asking
about legalization and domestication and i got this.  The letter really
confused me because half fo it didn`t even make sense - especially not on
the topic I wrote about.  What do you all think???

==
 XoXo
Jammy

 **Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.**

 "If people were Superior to Animals, they'd take better care of the world."
      *A.A.Milne*

[Moderator's note: As usual, please keep responses on the topic of ferrets
rather than general PETA talk, which is beyond the scope of the FML.  BIG]