From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 10:50:48 -0500
>Date:    Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:28:34 -0600
>From:    melissa palmer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Enthusiastic woman at petco
>
>Not a flame...What does bipolar have to do with anything??  My son has
>bipolar and I am confused about what it has to do with someone excited
>about pets.  I have major depression/anxiety disorder/post tramatic
>stress.  I don't just run out and adopt a bunch of animals.....Mental
>illness doesn't always something crazy behind every action in life.

This is no flame either...I think what they were referring to is the fact
that many "collectors" or "hoarders" also turn out to have mental defects
such as bipolar condition.  And collectors and hoarders are often VERY
enthusiastic about animals as far as wanting to grab as many as possible
as quickly as possible.  Certainly not all people with bipolar or
depression have issues with animal hoarding.  I think this was just a
warning to be careful of this person as they may tiurn out to be a
collector.  People who have been in shelter work or rescue work for long
enough have usually had the questionable good fortune to run across at
least one or two "collectors" and they are characterized by an almost
manic enthusiasm about rescuing and/or buying many animals in a very
short time, as well as underlying mental problems (not always, but very
often).  For some, it makes their hair stand on end when they run across
a very enthusiastic person who says things like, "I just bought 2 and want
to adopt 2 more!" in a very short time.  Of course it could be nothing,
just someone who happens to want 4 ferrets, but too many collectors start
out that way for shelter people to ignore warning signs.  Many, many
shelters have been on the unhappy receiving end of a collector who was
raided or had their animals confiscated.

I don't think any flames were intended against anyone who may be living
with a mental illness or emotional problems.  Most hoarders have mental
issues, but not all people with mental illness or mental health issues
are animal collectors.  Just setting the record straight!

-Heather W.
 Collected by Dante, Nikita, Dusty, Beanie, Boomer, and Rocky