From:
Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 1995 22:12:05 -0700
I now have a commercial Internet service, so I can post to the FML as
often as I want. I found out about this mailing list in a frantic effort
to save my ferret's life -- and you guys all responded. I was so amazed
at all the help I got, especially from Dr. Williams. My beloved C-pi
lived another two and a half months with all your help. However, much
as I would like to, I cannot make the claim that my love of ferrets is
related to my job, so I have needed to get my own separate address.

I also have a new baby ferret. She is a Marshall Farms baby, and she is
so tiny, I can hardly believe it. She's a little mitt, I guess sable in
color otherwise. Maybe 7 weeks old. She's adorable. She eats a ton and
goes doo-doo a lot and is getting bigger daily (hourly, minutely). I'm not
sure what to name her yet -- maybe Charm because I got her on Friday the
13th ... or Tremor because she never sits still ... or Moufle, French
for mitten ... hmmmm.

To the person who posted recently about bad breath: I want to echo Dr.
Williams' mention of potential kidney disease. In the last few weeks of
her life, little C-pi's breath was quite overpowering, and it had never
been that way before. I found myself brushing her teeth more often (with
a little finger brush and malt-flavored toothpaste from the vet), but it
would help for only a day or two. She had terminal kidney disease. You
might want to consider a urine protein analysis or a blood test for BUN
and creatinine (this is different from a CBC) just to make sure your
ferret doesn't have kidney disease. If you catch it early enough, you can
treat it.

I tried calling the state health officer today who ordered the ferret's
death in Maryland; a woman who answered said he was "tied up." So I left
her a message for him that the killing he had ordered for rabies testing
was unnecessary. I also left my phone number, but of course, he never
called back. He probably thinks we're all as rabid as our ferrets.

That's all for now.