Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:13:40 -0700
 >Sunny Cook <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
 >always contact Selters to come and get them. So why is this? I would
 >think they would have a better set up with the Shelters to Foster them??
 >until they are found homes? Or is PAWS and The Human Society not set up
 >in these states for Ferrets and just put them down if the shelters don't
 >go and get them?

The two shelters you mentioned in Washington state DO have relationships
with ferret shelters and do call either the Washington Ferret Rescue or
Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House.  That's because we've made an
effort to get to know the "powers that be" at these shelters and they
trust that we know more about ferrets and have the resources to take care
of them and find them homes.

Most shelters have their hands full with dogs and cats and many are more
than happy to turn over ferrets.  Their is still an exception to this
rule and that is the Animal Control shelters we work with.  Animal
Control seems to be mandated to put down any animal who bites and I know
we've lost a couple of ferrets in the past 6 years at Animal Control.
Although we try to get the biters out too, if we push too hard (as one
rescue did in the past) they will stop working with us altogether.
Animal Control agencies are under contract to cities and counties and
have set "rules" to follow, and so it may seem to us rescuers that they
are cold hearted individuals who only want to kill.  Even if you don't
like the shelter people, you need to act as though you do.  Find out if
they have a collection of sea otter ceramics and pick up one to add to
their collection.  Form a relationship so that they WILL call you when a
ferret arrives.

Sandi (leaving now to pick up a ferret from animal control :-)

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.RabbitRodentFerret.org