From:
Sunny Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:30:30 EST
I just have to add a few words with laughter.  I don't know what started
the topic of ferret bites but was reading a section where a bite is
considered when a ferret latches on and shakes its victim (human).  If
there are only 4 in a ten year period that have been reported, then they
haven't been talking with shelter parents.  I have a little one that is a
biter.  She does it out of fear and not knowing she is hurting you when
she is playing.  When I first brought her home she would latch on and
grind her teeth and try and tear the meat from my finger.  (Oh she is
much better now.) But, I wouldn't consider her dangerous, no more than one
of my grandchildren trying to escape from Grampa's bear grip while giving
that bear hug.

I think if someone is responsible and responsible for their ferrets than
biting can be corrected.  Ferrets are animals and cannot communicate in
the same way as us humans but they can communicate if you listen.  If a
ferret has a biting issue, than a responsible person would make sure that
the ferret in question was not let out when others are around that might
possibly get bit and hurt.

Now on the other hand this is my opinion.  Not a researchable subject for
me, not much to go on but my own experiences.  But, I would no more put
this little girl down than one of my grandchildren.  However, I wouldn't
let her out of her cage for play time at the same time my young
grandchildren are here just in case something were to happen.  On the
other hand people can be the issue.  My 4 year old grandson was up camping
with his father and friends.  My grandson was going into a motor home
where an old small dog was and was not aware that the dog had a protection
issue.  When my grandson reached over to sit on the couch next to the
dog, the dog attacked and tore a hole in his cheek.  Now you can take
this what ever way you want.  My son calmed both the owner of the dog and
his son, placed ice on his face et.  Days later a gift was exchanged with
my grandson and no more was said.  The dog still lives along with my
grandchild neither were put down.  Now a lawsuit could have come of this
and the dog could have been put down but why?  The dog was protecting his
area and my grandson learned a valuable lesson, don't go near small
animals on their turf unless you know the animal.

Now I am sure there are many different animals out there that could be
considered dangerous.  Like goats.... I can remember owning goats as a
small child.  I can also remember being tossed over a fence because of
turning my back to one of them.  How about roosters?  I can remember
having to carry a stick to get from the car to my house door.  Not a
single one of these animals were put down cause of their, what we could
call faults.

Now humans....
This is just one persons point of view.