From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:02:11 -0700
Krys wrote:
>>(Don in Tucson, AZ)
>>What about meat in a ferret's diet, is this a good thing to do?
>I read that giving ferrets raw meat was inviting trouble and makes some of
>them mean because it sorta activates their instinct to hunt there own food.

You read wrong.  Many people feed their dogs meat.  Canned cat food is
primarily meat.  Does this make the dog or cat mean?  They too are
carnivores.

If you indeed read that feeding fresh meat to a ferret makes them mean,
PLEASE post the source to the FML so we can set that author straight.
That is completely erroneous information.

May I suggest that you request Bob Church's multi-part posts on ferret
diet.  (BIG, please insert how Krys can get them from the mail
server...thanks) It is a very comprehensive collection of posts on ferret
diets and what is really needed for optimum ferret health, etc.
[Moderator's note: send GET DIET POSTS to [log in to unmask]  BIG]

Now...a few of us feed their ferrets live mice on a regular basis..mine get
a mouse each once a week, give or take.  (Bob Church's articles will go
into the why's) I can categorically say, my three are no more aggressive
than a stuffed teddy bear!  Mischievious, yes, mean, no.  My two 10 year
olds who have passed on, were both live meat eaters and lived a long
wonderful, SWEET, life.  Now, I don't suggest that you or anyone, run out
and try mice on your ferret.  Many will not eat them and it can get messy,
so, let your fuzzies and your fortitude guide you there.  I do feel that
most of the GOOD ferret foods (TOTALLY FERRET, MAZURI, 8 IN 1, MARSHALL's,
to name a few) provide an adequate diet for one's ferret.  I just like to
go 'natural' a wee bit more.  Raw chicken is another good fresh meat...and
don't be worried about salmonella, old sal is not a big concern here...as
long as the chicken is fresh and perhaps, washed off.

>If by some slim chance Lisa and Pam see this post, THANKS ALOT!  *HUGS*

Krys, you couldn't have contacted two, more knowledgeable people.  Pam and
Lisa are 2 of the 'mainstays' in the ferret world today.  WE are ALL lucky
to have them so active.

For our ferrets

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)