From:
Eleanor Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:41:57 -0500
My big beautiful black sable, Wolf is at the vets and will remain
overnight.  He was having a insolinoma seisure? (she feels possibly
sepsis) drooling a little and not responding when I went to give him his
lunch today.  He was in his top hammock with his buddy Teddy and I went
to put his food in for him and it looked like he was up and yawned and
all of a sudden went limp when I picked him up.  He was drooling a little
bit.  I tried honey, I tried karo syrup for 5 minutes and no response.  I
called my vet and she said to continue putting Karo on his gums which I
did.  Still no response.  I called my vet and I brought him in (5 minutes
down the road, thank God).  She took his blood and it was 39 which is
rather normal for him even on the pred and diazoxide.  She could not get
him to respond either except when you touched near his eyes, then he
would close them.  She thought possibly his kidneys shut down because he
had been diagnosed a short time ago with the beginning of kidney failure.
I have had him on a special diet for his kidneys and balancing it with a
little chicken meat added.  He would get 1/2 tab of pred in the a.m, 1ml
diazoxide at lunch and at midnight and 1/4 tab pred at supper time.  He
was doing so well to the point of even being on the active side.

My vet called and said that he is doing better but not out of the woods.
He ate some, she hand fed him.  She also had him on a dextrose drip and
gave him an injectible antibiotic.  She suspects an infection in the
kidneys.  She did a cbc panel and told me his blood registered 19 on that
machine, his kidney values are about the same they were.  She also pulled
urine and we should know the results tomorrow morning.  Please send good
thoughts for him to recover.  He is such a wonderful sweet boy.  We plan
on doing insolinoma surgery if all is well when he is better, hopefully.
I know insolinomas come back but it will buy him time, hopefully.  Has
anyone had a ferret go down like this for a period of time?

Also my oldest boy, Winta2 just turned 9 years old January 1st.  He was
diagnosed with kidney failure a year ago and has been on KD feline diet
and WD feline diet (for his kidneys and colitis) along with a little bit
of turkey baby food.  He is now showing signs of adrenal and sleeps more
but still has a great appetite.  I am proud that he owns me.

Hug and kiss your fuzzies because you just never know.  They go down so
quickly.

Our sincere condolences to those of you who have lost a fuzzy.  May those
who have sick fuzzies, recover completely.

Eleanor, Donald and the 9 fuzzies