From:
Kay and Mike Amrine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:46:50 EDT
I usually don't post but I couldn't let this one pass.  I have a friend
who had ferrets who did not believe that distemper or rabies shots were
necessary.  Her thoughts were that her ferrets did not leave the house so
they were not at risk and she could not afford the shots.

I give my own distemper shots and I use Fervac-D, I offered to vaccinate
her ferrets for her at the cost of the shots (she lives three doors down
from my old vets office btw in case of reactions).  Nope, her ferrets
didn't need it.  I got a call from her one evening saying several of her
ferrets were sick, seemed to have colds or something.  After telling me
all the symptoms I was concerend it was distemper, I convinced her to
call the vet and talk to him.  She lost all of her ferrets, 13 of them,
all to distemper.  It was a very sad and horrible end for these sweet
babies.  The vet said more than likely she carried this is on her clothes
to her ferrets since they never went out.

I've had reactions with 5 of my ferrets to distemper vaccine, all
survived the reactions and yes I felt horrible about the reactions they
went through, but after hearing how those ferrets suffered and died I
definitely think that the shot was worth it.

Just something for everybody to think about.

Kay