Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 19:53:25 -0400
I did not have any problems getting my kit into California as a baby.

You need to be low key and not give them any reason to want to look at you
closely. Here is what I advise:

1) Unless someone knows of a checkpoint that is not 24 hrs or a road that
doesn't have one, cross at a major interstate like I-15 from Las Vegas.

2) Stop at a rest area before the crossing and run your ferrets ragged.

3) If you are moving and you have alot of stuff in your car, re-pack so that
the ferret carrier is not visible, nor is ANY ferret stuff (food, bottles,
toys, etc.)

4) Get ride of all food, or anything from a supermarket that might make them
think you have fruit or vegetables.

5) If they find your ferrets, tell them you will give them to a friend in NV
or AZ (or what ever state you are crossing from).

Now if they find your ferrets you have a problem.  I've heard that they
record your car make/model and plates and will search you good next time you
cross.  You can be arrested if you try and cross again and get caught.  I do
not know if they pass the info to all checkpoints or just that point.

I also do not know what real authority they have to search without good
cause.  You could contact a California branch of the ACLU, inquiry on one of
the legal newscgroups (misc.legal or misc.legal.moderated).  If they are at
all like customs the decision will be based on very subjective reasons.
Does your car have non-conformist bumper stickers, do you dress conservative
or not, etc.