From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 20:51:26 -0800
Jeanne, I think you were just sort of startled by the breakdown of the
pellets.  Zillions of us use basic wood stove pellets (at $2.97 per 40# at
Home Depot stores) and the breakdown is just how they are.  When you scoop,
include the little spot of wet sawdust.  Actually we are happy to know
where to scoop!

When you say it was "all over the place", it may be that your ferrets were
excited by the 'new stuff' and were playing in the litter pan.  They will
get used to it and not spread it around.  Although when I take the litter
pans to the bathtub for a complete hosing down, my ferrets always notice
and snorkle through the newly filled pan before using it.  In fact, Welly
thinks a nice fresh litter pan makes a good nap spot.

I'm not a fan of recycled newspaper pellets because I believe inks to be
dangerous substances.  Therefore when I see newspaper pellets in other
peoples homes I always think about how the pellets 'just sit there' when
they get wet.  The dumb things don't have enough sense to break down!  It's
all in what we are used to and expect.

Hope you will give the wood pellets another chance.  I use one of the food
scoops sold in pet depts as a litter scoop.  Because there are no slots or
openings, the damp sawdust stays in the scoop till I dump it into the
garbage bag.

Georgia - the left coast one...