Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:25:48 -0500
Hello CA UPDATE folks,

Ferret folks were represented in the Governor's office on Friday as my
father and I took 40 minutes to dispel the many myths that DFG has foisted
on everyone.  We met with the number 3 man in the Governor's office and a
Deputy Legislative Secretary whose job is to coordinate agencies' positions
on legislation.  One of the most incriminating pieces of evidence of DFG's
atrocious behavior was a letter from 1986 from the director of DFG to the
Commission stating that ferrets were responsible for decimating a
populations of endangered terns in Massachusetts.  A subsequent letter from
the MA Division of Fisheries and Wildlife literally said, "That's news to
us!" Tom French from MA Fish and Game said that not only were ferrets NOT a
problem in MA as far as depredating terns, but that they had never heard of
such a thing anywere.

tt also met briefly with the Consultant to the Water, Parks and Wildlife
Committee to ensure that our analysis would be fair and accurate.  Now that
the previous consultant has departed, I believe that will be the case.  But,
I do want to pass on to folks that she said she'd only received about 10
letters so far and most were from Southern CA!!!!  Hey Californians, and
especially Northern Californians, let's get busy letting Mr. Machado,
Chairman of the Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee know how we feel.

ASSIGNMENT OF THE WEEK!!  WRITE YOUR LETTER TO MR. MACHADO AND GET 4 OTHERS
TO DO THE SAME!!

His address is:

Hon. Mike Machado, Chairman
Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee
State Capitol, Room 5175
Sacramento, CA  95814
e-mail [log in to unmask]

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www. ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CA!LIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!! IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE THEM TO CO-AUTHOR THE FERRET
BILL, SO ACT NOW