Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:48:02 -0700
Hi, all.

Yesterday I did some 'check ups', today I have some Greetings to tell you
about.

I met a little guy named Max coming across the Bridge.  His Business of
Joey and Mittens was waiting for him with me.  Max walked slowly and
carefully across the worn wooden planks of the Bridge, as if he wasn't
really sure that this was happening or not.  (I see that pretty much
every day, and who can blame them?  It is a miraculous thing.)

Max looked up and recognized Joey right away.  The two yelled male
bonding things, their tails frizzed up, and they bounced into one
another, dooking and dancing up a storm.  Mittens stayed back with me.
Mittens knew Joey, but he didn't know Max.  Once things had calmed down
I made the proper introductions, and out came the wings.  I could tell
right away that this was going to be one of those really active groups
that like to do things together.  Well, cool!  There is so much to do
here!

The four of us slipped on our wings and lifted off, one by one.  It was
a beautiful day for flying.  The sun was a warm yellow ball in the clear
blue sky, and there wasn't much wind.  We flew over gently rippling
fields of grass and white dasies.  The fields gave way to low, rolling
hills, and the first trees appeared.  Soon a deep green forest spread out
beneath us.  It was hard to find a clear place big enough for all of us
to land, but we managed.

The forest was quiet and still.  Great golden beams of light slanted down
through the branches above us and painted the ground all around us.  It
was beautiful in every direction, and it smelled wonderful!  Clean and
fresh and alive.

Max said "This is where I want to dig my burrow." So he did.  We three
helped him, dipping our claws into the soft loam and throwing it behind
us as we dug, grunting and puffing with the effort.  Last years dead
leaves and stiff little pine needles flew!  We dug deeper, and deeper.
A main chamber, an entrance and an exit tunnel, as well as a ventilation
shaft took form.  We dug a separate room just for stashing shiny
things in.

Finally, it was done.  All four of us lay in the cool darkness of the
main chamber and admired our work.  Our muscles were sore!  But it was
well worth it.  It was a burrow of distinction, just what Max had
envisioned all of his life!  He told Joey and Mittens that they were
welcome to come visit any time, and I am sure that they will.  I can
tell that those three are going to be thick as thieves!

I met a little guy named Bruno coming across the Bridge the other day,
and of all things, he was dragging a soft blue velvet rag behind him, one
corner of it held firmly in his mouth.  Bruno saw me and opened his mouth
(dropping the rag) to say "Hi!  I'm Bruno!  Where is the pineapple?"

Well, it is a pleasure to meet someone who makes the crossing with such
complete self-assurance.  No Recovery Hammie here, folks!

I gave Bruno a brief verbal introduction to the Afterworld, then I told
him to follow me to the Fruit Bar for the nearest pineapple, which he did
with great good humor, the blue velvet rag dragging in the grass behind
him all of the way.  Traveling with Bruno is very, very quiet because of
that rag.  Conversation is, well, one-sided, at best.

Finally, we came to the Fruit Bar and Bruno abandoned his rag alotgether
in favor of the tray of chilled pineapple chunks, and the one of
pineapple rings, and the one of crushed pineapple.  He did not neglect
one of those trays in favor of another, but attended to them all equally,
until his belly was round and hard.

Then of course it was time for nap.  Bruno simply rolled himself up
into the blue velvet rag like a burrito and fell deeply, deeply asleep.
Having done serious damage to the tray of red spiced apple rings, I
wasn't too far behind him...It was a *really* good nap.  Bruno has style!

I met another little guy coming across the Bridge.  His name was Chester,
Grandfather Chester, because he had lived a long, long life in the World
of the Living.  The whole Merry Mayhem Business came out to greet him,
and as usual, there was a near riot.  There are so maaaaany of them!  And
they really, really, know how to party.

This time I sent SaraFerret out to the nearest Wild Black Footed Ferret
camp as a diversion, just to keep them busy during Chester's Greeting.
When they get together with the Merry Mayhem Gang, the fur flies!

I had a nice, quiet talk with Chester, who said that he will wait
patiently for his Mommy Rebecca.  Many is the time that he would put his
head on her foot, and she understood that this meant that he wanted her
to pick him up.  Not *every* hoomin is that clever!  She was special.
And some day, a long time from now, he is going to tell her so.

Sandee