From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:05:04 -0500
>I live in England and my ferrets are vaccinated against distemper using
>a dog distemper vaccine called Nobivac-D (no ferret vaccine in UK).  They
>currently have been vaccinated once a year and each ferret gets a whole
>vial.
>
>However, there has been some discussion that they would be fine with
>only half a vial each and now there are suggestions that they will be
>fine having vaccinations every other year rather than annually.

It's normally recommended over here that 1/2 vial each is fine.  Since no
studies on duration of immunity following vaccination are carried out even
on dogs, for which the vaccine is made, let alone ferrets, for which it
isn't, nobody officially knows how long immunity will last.  In general,
immunity to distemper is quite long-lasting.  Your decision would partly
depend on the risk.  If you live somewhere where distemper is seen in
local dogs or foxes, then perhaps more often would be safest.  If your
ferrets are confined to a suburban garden in an area where distemper is
never seen in dogs, then they are at very low risk, and once every 2 years
might well do.  The data sheet for each vaccine brand will say whether it
is grown in a ferret cell line (in which case it shouldn't be used in
ferrets) or not.  I can't remember what it says for Nobivac, because we
don't use it, and I don't have the information here.  If in doubt, get
your vet to double check this for you.

Hope this helps,
Alison Skipper, vet, England!
 ---

Actually, we can't clear it up, as there is no data on the extra-label
use of multivalent canine vaccines in ferrets.

I can comment on the duration of immunity in dogs, where there is data
(but of course, ferrets are not dogs).  Recent studies show that after
the first adult booster, dogs are protected up to 5 years, and possibly 7
against distemper.  This is likely where your discussion started - being
extrapolated from other species.

However, we really don't know if it works the same way in the ferret.
While intuitively I think that it might, and that half a vial is probably
enough, you'll still be out there on your own, as we can't really
guarantee it.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM
 ---

Vet, Jerry Murray wrote:
>The second part of your question is about giving a "half dose" of the
>vaccine.  I do not recommend this!

Actually, I agree with my colleague on this, having seen animals given
half-doses develop distemper after a later exposure to the virus.  The
vaccines are designed to be given to very small animals as well as large
ones, and I believe from my own experience that a half dose is just not
sufficient to trigger an immune response that is protective.  You might
want to have your vet make sure they were speaking to a veterinarian at
Intervet, and possibly get assurance that a half dose would be protective
in writing before going with it.  I doubt they'd be willing to provide
that assurance, and if not, then I would definitely stick with a full
dose.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.
 ---

The ferret rabies vaccine is called Imrab-3 by Merial.  The ferret
distemper vaccine is Purevax-d by Merial or Fervac-d by United Vaccines.
Merial vaccines can be ordered by your vet just like Heartgard and
Frontline (the other products from Merial).  Fervac-c can be ordered
from Butler vet supply company.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM