From:
Teresa Knezek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:27:58 +0100
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 02:00:01 -0400, Risa Di Vincenzo
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I read the post about the severly dehydrated ferret that came around
>after SubQ fluids.  Other than a scruff test I don't know much about
>dehydration and was wondering what the signs are for severe cases of it.
>I don't want to someday be the panicing ferret owner with an uninformed
>vet.

In the two cases I've dealt with, the ferret got extremely disoriented...
very "wobbly" when they tried to stand and walk around (which is what
scared my vet).  They were both extremely lethargic, and refused food...
not just disinterested in food, but actually clenching their teeth and
refusing even their favorite treats.

Basically, if you've ever seen someone so drunk they were about ready to
pass out: weaving, wobbling, unfocused-looking eyes, barely conscious...
that's a lot like a severely dehydrated ferret.  ;-)

Both of mine even bit me really viciously when I tried to syringe feed
them (and they are two of the sweetest, safest ferrets you could ever
meet)... They acted like all they wanted to do was be left alone to die.

Now any time I see a ferret acting lethargic I do the pinch test, and if
there's any noticeable delayed response, I give them some really soupy
soft food to get those fluids back up before they get any worse... But in
case any of mine do get that bad again, I also keep a bag of lactated
ringers solution and a handful of sterile syringes around, so I can take
care of it without delay.

--
Teresa -- and the
Three Polar Packrats