Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:22:09 -0500
Hi to all, I'm going to try to shorten this as best I can, but I would like
to comment on air purifiers again since everyone has a concern regarding
the ones that generate Ozone.  Yes, too much Ozone can be harmful, but to
get that much Ozone, you would have to go with the astronauts in outer
space & LEAVE the space shuttle.

I have 3 air purifiers, the first one I bought was Vaportek(optimum 3000)
Air treatment system.  The cost was $280, each time I change the 2 filters
on it, it costs $25.00, depending on your household environment, will
determine how often you have to change the filters, (I.e. smoking, how
many pets, etc.)  As a ferret shelter, I had to change the filters once a
month, this gets expensive.

I then went to the Honeywell Enviracaire Portable Hepa Air Cleaner, cost
was $189, filters are approximately $35 to change, if you change them both
at the same time.  Again, this gets quiet costly since in reality, you have
to change the filters once a month.  I don't care what they tell you in the
instructions, every 3 months does not do it.

I then began research into the Ozone generating air purifiers(Alpine) I
contacted the American Lung Association @ 1800-LUNG-USA, they would not
say that these units were bad.  They would only say that as long as you
maintained a low level, it would not hurt you.  Since you breathe Ozone
every day that you go outside.  I was mainly concerned about the ferrets,
so I continued to research it.  I spoke to several Homeopathic vets, I
contacted the Health Department, division of Environmental Health &
Engineering(if you contact them they will send you an entire package on
healthy air/indoor air)

I have had major exposure to mold and mildew along with some other
contaminants containing carcinogens & never want to go through that again.
Back in 1993 we were renting a place and had to move from there because of
the mold inside the walls and bacteria in the air conditioner.  People, you
haven't begun to imagine what you are breathing on a daily basis inside
your own home.  There are places that do testing, usually government
buildings , etc. for sick building syndrome, you can have your air tested
in your home, it is costly, but well worth it.  I paid $550 for the
testing & found out the air was slowly killing us.  Of course we moved.

I continued my research into the Ozone purifiers and decided that as long
as the Ozone produced was regulated and that there was a sensor and a shut
off if it ever did get too high, then this was the best way to go.  I do
not have to buy filters every month, I have no odor in my house as long as
I keep the filters clean & in the 3 years that I have had it, I have been
sick one time with the flu.  I know that I also have an actual purifier,
the ozone helps to cut down on mold, mildew, and other bacteria.  There is
a book( Prescription for Nutritional healing, by James & Phyllis Balch)
this book recommends the Alpine XL-15 to maintain good air quality in your
home, pg. 253 under Environmental Toxicity, you can read all about
contaminants in your home air.  On page 254, under recommendations, they
have listed the XL-15 Air Purifier to remove animal odors, bacteria,
dust, pollen & smoke.

I know how frustrated you feel in your search for a good air cleaner
because I have been there, I will take a little dose of ozone every day
compared to mold, mildew (these two can literally kill you) and everything
else in the air.  Really search well, as I said, call the American Lung
Association, the Health department and the (EPA -The inside story, A guide
to indoor Air Quality) (this book will scare the heck out of you) to get
all of the booklets they have on Indoor air pollutants and air quality.
Then make your decision.  I researched for a year.

As far as a deionizer, I'm not sure what that is, but an ionizer is
negative ions that sort of zap the dust particles and drops them from
the air so that you do not breathe them.

You can also go to www.ecoquestintl.com
to get info on the Alpine/Ecoquest Unit & see all of the other products
they have.  they have A/C filters, Water purifiers, mattress covers and
many other items.

I am not giving you all of this info to sell you a unit, but to try and
help you out.  I do not blame anyone for being concerned , I was there
myself.

Good luck to all of you in your search and hug those fuzzies!

Sue
See my auctions at:
http://showcase.auctiva.com/ferret