From:
Mark Brgr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 14:26:27 -0500
I'm one of those AOL unfortunates who must now download the FML in order to
read it.  This added step makes it doubly difficult to keep up with things
when I can't even decipher the contents of the list.

I don't know if it's feasible for the moderator to rewrite the subject lines
in postings to more accurately describe them.  It is, however, quite
feasible to strongly suggest a common format that will help everyone use
this list more effectively.

For example, questions should be identified as such (with a ?  or
something).  Answers should perhaps contain A: or something similar.
Without this, the reader doesn't know whether "Pooping next to the litter
box" is another question about the topic, or an answer s/he can actually
try!

Also, posters have a terrible habit of titling their contributions in vague
and meaningless ways.  I don't need to know "Binky is sick"; I would rather
see "?: Measuring temperature" or "?: Bloated abdomen and eye discharge."
That way, I can decide if I need to read the posting.

I realize this problem is endemic in most newgroups, but it is still a real
pain.  We will all get more from the list if we all contribute something to
improving it.  Take 10 seconds to craft a useful subject line!

[Moderator's note: If a subject line is missing I make one up.  If a subject
line is present, I use it, even if it is not very descriptive.  Adding a
subject to a post that doesn't have one is one of the more time consuming
parts of editing the FML and it helps a lot if you supply one.  And since
you're supplying one anyhow, may as well make it a good one.  (Yes, I am
aware that a couple of you aren't able to supply a subject due to oddities
of your mail system, but such systems are diminishing in number, thankfully.

As for me changing the subject if one is supplied - I'd rather not start
trying to second-guess your choice.  I don't change any original text of
any posts and your choice of a subject counts as your text in my opinion.

(Just to clarify, I *do* reformat, trim signatures on multiple postings,
may shorten quoted text and sometimes even combine posts.  But I don't
change your text without permission.)  BIG]