From:
Stephanie Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:25:21 -0800
Hi Sandee,

I feel a little weird typing this because this is my first loss.  I've
only been a ferret owner for a little under 2 years, and I didn't expect
to have to grieve so soon.  But my little boy has passed on.  He recently
had adrenal surgery and then unfortunately developed kidney failure a few
weeks post-surgery.  My heart is broken for my special little boy.

Winkwomp was the most special ferret.  He was a rescue, and I am
devastated at knowing the situation he came from.  However, a fellow
ferret lover and I went to this baby.  I was set to foster him for a
while, but after a few days, I knew I'd never be able to let him go.  He
got attached to me very quickly, and I fell absolutely head-over-heels
for him.

After getting his vaccinations, I introduced him to the rest of my crew.
Ohhh, the trauma!  Winkwomp had never been with other ferrets and did
not know what to do in the presence of his own kind.  But eventually, he
grew to tolerate their antics.  He never fully bonded with any of them
(partially, because I only had the privilege of being with him for 5
months and partially, because he's not a "ferret" ferret).  It's probably
for the best that bonds weren't formed as I would hate for one of my
other babies to be depressed by his passing.

Winkwomp had right adrenal surgery in January and was facing one for the
left.  This was also my first experience with adrenal surgery, and it
scares me that this happened.  I know that not all ferrets die from the
surgery, but I had hoped for a successful outcome.  Unfortunately, there
wasn't much that could be done for him.  The people I rescued him from
had waited too long to seek help as the disease was pretty advanced.  And
now I am left heartbroken and very angry.  Angry that people could be so
cruel to defenseless animals.  Heartbroken at knowing Winkwomp is not
waiting for me at home.

I am a ferret lover, Winkwomp was a human lover.  We were meant for each
other.  And no matter what, I'll never regret taking in this sick, but
wonderful boy.

Sandee, please meet him at the bridge for me.  He's all alone right now.
Let him know I love him and will be there someday.  Can you introduce
him to Wicket, Kiki, and Odie?  Those are my boyfriend's ferrets who are
waiting at the bridge.  Winkwomp wasn't a ferret lover in life, but he
needs companionship now.  Help him learn to dance, as I never saw him
really dance.  I never saw him with a full coat.

I miss you, Tinky-Winky.  My heart is broken.

Stephanie Gilbert
dancing with 3, crying over 1

victim of "Missmyferretitis" (I didn't think I would be diagnosed with my
own disease so soon)

Stephanie Gilbert * TriFL VP/Events Chair/Librarian
* work: (919) 962-1355 * http://www.trifl.org * http://Kittlen.tripod.com