From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:16:18 -0700
Dear All,

I've sat back and watched and read. So much is happening right now with
the largest ferret rescue. It's perhaps the largest in U.S. history, of
any companion pet. The needs of that rescue so trivializes everything
else.

I officially announce the shelter v sanctuary debate over, as far I'm
concerned. The responses that I've received from my initial post have
been overwhelming kind, supportive and even enlightening. As I stated
in my original statement I have the utmost respect for anyone that is
going to open their home to unwanted ferrets and care for them. Of
course I want to see adoptions and not closed sanctuaries because of
numbers, but again, they have the right to run their business the way
they want, and we all should be grateful for that effort.

My opinion hasn't so much as changed, as it has evolved over the past
couple years. There's one person that I admire and respect very much
that opened my eyes to one particular service that sanctuaries offer,
and that is the personal provision of caring for their ferrets should
the need or event arise. That person is Diane Iverson. I know how much
she loves and cares for her ferrets, and to once have read how she
found comfort knowing that her ferrets would be cared for, well that
truly is a gift of reassurance and peace for a ferret owner. For all
sanctuaries offering a forever home, should the need arise, from your
friends in the ferret community, thank you for that gift of yourselves.

I mentioned also that some of the emails I received were interesting.
This one particular person, a sanctuary op, told me of her fear of
inviting strangers in to adopt, the invasion and vulnerability she felt
by opening herself and family to the public. Yep, there's another very
good point, and I have to agree with it. I've had some very interesting
situations over the last 12 years with opening my home to people, most
of which were all good and positive. The few that disrespected my home
and privacy are forgettable folks, and even forgiveable. I say
forgiveable, because I have grace in my life, and is part of my
spiritual foundation. It's cool the way grace works, not only does it
work through my heart to forgive, but also to be forgiven. We all need
grace. I couldn't do shelter work and especially some of the horrendous
rescues we've accomplished here at Rocky's over the last 12 years,
without God's gift of grace.

As for the more personal and negative comments from a couple ladies;.
I've not spoken with them in years, so there is no way that they can
purport how I feel today. They both are bright, strong willed women,
and especially is stated so in Karen/cinnamonsprite's MySpace. To think
that myself, or anyone, could influence their opinion as they state, is
no excuse for bad behavior on their part. Should in the future you feel
overwhelmed that someone is controlling your mind, I refer you to the
protection of the tin foil hat:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Alphajill/tinfoilhat2.jpg and
again http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Alphajill/tinfoilhat1.jpg

We, the ferret community, have upon us one of the largest companion pet
rescues in the history of this country. It's critical that we get these
ferrets out of Lorie Sies' immediately. Many years ago I did a rescue
of about 200, to care for 700 is incomprehensible and time is of the
essence or we have collectively failed. Why am I ending my response
with a reference to the DMK Rescue? Simply, we need every home, shelter
and sanctuary to open space for these ferrets. It's time for us all to
come together as one for the cause, and the cause is the love and
concern we all have for ferrets. Peace to all.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's
www.rockysferrets.com

WIN A CRUISE ON THE CHESAPEAKE:
http://rockysferrets.com/events/of/oktoberfest_raffle.html

COME CELEBRATE 12 YRS OF ROCKY'S SERVING THE COMMUNITY:
http://rockysferrets.com/events/of/oktoberfest.html