From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 16:29:01 -0500
Our shelter has raised prices as our cost of supplies and veterinary
services has gone up. We ask $70-$75 for a single ferret in good
health, $110 to $125 for a pair depending on age. We also place foster
ferrets in good homes for no charge and we maintain responsibility for
significant vet costs when we are consulted first and our vet, or
another who is known to be knowledgeable and reasonably priced, is
used.

My biggest argument for charging a significant fee is that I want to
make sure that people who take our ferrets home are financially able
to support them. A life-time of veterinary care can cost a bundle, and
probably will. I don't want a ferret left uncared for because of lack
of funds. It's true that just because someone has a wad of money in
their pocket at the moment doesn't mean that they are financially
stable. For that reason I'm seriously considering running a credit
check on potential adoptors. I can, and sometimes do, ask to see a
valid credit card, which of course is not excellent evidence either.

That said, on occasion I have taken in an elderly ferret needing
medical intervention, provided what was needed, and then fostered the
ferret back to the person who loved them enough to give them up in the
first place. I don't do this often and I would rather not have to do it
at all. I urge people to start putting away money on a regular basis
for eventual veterinary needs but then, not all ferrets come from us.
Would you believe that some people still buy them from stores or on
Craig's List! (Pardon the bitch wings.)

Bobbi McC
(Big, can I say "Bitch" here?) [You are discussing, dogs, right? BIG]