From:
William Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:08:24 -0500
>From:    valerie wahoski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kokie the Fire-fuzzy
>
>Kits...I swear!  Kokie has cinged all of his wiskers, and some of his
>fur on his face.  His cage was fastened (or so I tought)... Apparantly
>Kokie squeezed through the bars of his cage (dont ask me how!)
>
>My dad was burning the oil off the concrete from the carport with a
>blow torch(which is now an attached room to the house after a few
>modifications) that had leaked from my car when it was being worked on.
>I think Kokie saw some bright lights or something that told him to go
>into the room, and My dad said he just zipped under the torch!...
>
>-valerie, and Kokie the pyro-maniac, noodles, buckie,
>rosie, and mojo

Blessings to all fuzzy and not.

I swear they have no concept of heat or what fire is.  When Patrick and
I moved into the condo one of the reasons we bought it was that it had a
fireplace (gas).  I love a fireplace.  The first year with the fuzzies
was a constant battle to keep them out of it when it was lit!  You would
think they could feel the heat and know better but no.....All of them
with the exception of Faye had to try it out.  Thing was they didn't try
to get in it when it wasn't lit.

Candles are another thing and incense.  I have a pot by the fireplace
with sand to burn incense sticks in.  At first the ferrets wanted to
explore it and dig at the sand.  I let them do this for a few days until
they got bored with it and went off to find other challenges.  Then I
started using it to burn incense sticks figuring they were tired of it
and would leave it alone.  No such luck.  Time after time I'd turn my
back only to have to chase down a stick stealing fuzzy leaving a smoke
trail behind!  Another time I had candles burning on the table.  Bowser
is the resident table climber.  Salem used to but has long since figured
out there is nothing that fascinating on the table.  Not Bowser.  If he
even sees you at the table he has to climb up after you are gone to see
what changed.  I thought everyone was asleep so I went to do some work in
the other room.  I came back and there was Bowser on the table sniffing
the candle flame!  I freaked, grabbed him up and ran in the kitchen to
check him out.  Besides having no whiskers left he seemed no worse for
wear.  I later was on the couch and heard him going up the table (candles
still burning) so I watched ready to pounce if need be.  He would
literally stick his nose in the candle flame then back off and sneeze
then do it again.  I grabbed him and put the candles out.  I've never
seen animals that had no fear or at least respect, of fire.  Has anybody
else experienced this with their furballs?

Regards,
Hawk and the Flaming Ferrets