From:
Kimberly Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 01:39:55 -0400
Hi Linda, Is your ferret a kit?  If so this may put your mind at ease..  I
have a book about ferrets and it says *Frequently it is possible to pick up
a ferret, especially a baby ferret, who has fallen asleep in this manner and
shake it, turn it over into various postions, and yell at it without getting
any response whatsoever.  The animal appears totally limp and lifeless and
sometimes the breathing is almost undetectable.  The first time you find
your kit in such a condition of sound sleep may be very frightening, because
aside from having a warm body the ferret certainly appears to be dead.The
first time I had such an experience I shook the baby for over a minute to no
avail.  However, when I put some food underneath his little nose he
miraculously "came alive" much to my relief.* Hope that is of some help and
relief for you.
Kimberly, Elliott & Elise