From:
Pat Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:41:43 -0700
The poster from yesterday about Arnold's veto of SB 89 doesn't know a
few things.  First of all, DFG wants ferret proponents to pay for the
EIR.  Schwarzenegger did not mention anything about funding.  My lawyer
thought asking ferret owners to fund the EIR wasn't legal.

And an EIR has already been done.  It is called the "1996-1997 NATIONWIDE
SURVEY OF STATE WILDLIFE AGENCIES."  After DFG said ferret owners should
pay for the EIR, and they did not have the funds, they did this one on
their own.  When their survey showed no concerns or consequences of
domestic ferrets in all 50 states they hid the report.  It was mentioned
in a press interview and uncovered by a Freedom of Information Act.

California ferret activists know the EIR is only a smokescreen.  It was
the most plausible way for the Governor to veto this bill.  No other
state required an EIR and no other state has a concern about domestic
ferrets (except Hawaii).  We do not know the real reason Governor
Schwarzenegger vetoed ferret amnesty.

Pat Wright
Founder, Ferrets Anonymous