From:
STARFerret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:02:16 EST
I'm really behind on FML's - forgive me iof this has already been addressed.

>From:    Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccinated Ferrets got Distemper
>A ferret friend who has been using Galaxy-D because it has caused fewer
>allergic reations in her ferrets has just lost a couple of them to distemper.
>Their vaccinations were up-to-date, but these ferrets contracted the disease
>anyway.  Has anyone else had a similar experience or do you know why this
>could occur?  ... She does not know if she should re-vaccinate the rest of
>her little guys with Fervac-D.  They received the Galaxy-D at the beginning
>of February, so she is afraid she might increase the chance of a reaction
>if she vaccinates again so soon.

ANY distemper vaccine is only good if the ferret has two weeks to develop
the immunity before exposure to distemper.  Vaccination does NOT give
instant immunity.  This is one reason why STAR* has never come out with a
protocol on WHEN to vaccinate as a ferret arrives at the shelter.

If the shelter has distemper anywhen on the location, vaccination will not
guarantee immunity if brought in and vaccinated the same day.  Likewise, if
you don't have distemper, vaccinate on arrival, and a distemper animal comes
in before the immunity sets (two weeks), then the vaccinated animal can get
distemper - which makes it look like the vaccine failed - which is not true,
there just was not enough immunity built up.

Ferrets in the shelter are stressed just because they are moving to a new
home, temporary as it might be.  A shelter should have an area away from the
rest of the animals that they can put ferrets with unknown vaccination
status in for two weeks, vaccinate, and tend to, without the distubance of
being show to the public until their immunity is up and they have adjusted
to the environment.  That way, if a ferret with distemper come into the
shelter, it will infect only those in the holding area, rather than the
whole shelter.  Some in the holding area may have past vaccinations that
will protect them, and they should be quarantined for at least two weeks
past the last ferret passing on from distemper before being allowed to
mingle with other ferrets.

This sounds rather simple, but the fact is that most private shelters do
not have several rooms to quarantine ferrets in away from the others, plus,
distemper can be transmitted simple by touch or a sneeze, and shelters do
not have good disinfectant protocols.  This is why ECE was so devestating.
We work with what we have.

Whether you use Galaxy D or Fervac D, it is your choice.  I believe they
are both good at their jobs, and one should be used if the other causes a
negative injection reaction.

Pam / Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets