From:
Jennifer Hoh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 21:11:26 -0500
Several persons have recently asked about fuzzies and colds.  A few months
ago I asked the same ?s with no response, but fortunately found a knowagable
vet to help me out.  Apparently ferrets do catch colds just like humans, but
sneezing can also indicate several more serious ailments, including
distemper!  It is very normal for ferrets to sneeze occasionally, but if
yours is sneezing continuously or has nasel discharge, you should make an
appt. with your vet.

My 8-yr old little albino girl had been sneezing for couple of days,
sometimes so hard that she whacked her little head on the ground.  By the
time I could get an appt.  with the only DMV nearby who does ferrets she had
a full-blown upper-resp. infection and had to go on anti-biotics.  While
she is doing very well now, I'm VERY FORTUNATE she didn't get pneumonia or
worse.  I suggest that you get an appt.  with your vet to rule out any
serious problems and discuss with them what sort of signs you might look for
in the future.  I'm a graduate student with very little money (no health
insurance for me!), but I would never forgive myself if one of my kids died
or developed a serious medical problem only because I put off going to the
vet!