From:
Joy Lenay Kerin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 17:44:24 -0400
I don't know what to do.  My experience with operations on ferrets has
not been very good.  I've had approximately 10 operations for adrenal,
including cryosurgery, and in one case - Hera - died 12 days after surgery
because cancer spread.  In Abu's case, the stress of surgery brought out an
underlying condition of megasophagus (he died a slow death a month later).
And Daisy's heart stopped after a successful operation.  Minnie went in for
adrenal..the morning of the surgery, she was bouncing all over the place -
after surgery, she almost died.  We had to force feed her and after couple
weeks, she finally came around.  In the other cases, the surgery was not
a success and when the surgeries were a success, the adrenal problem
resurfaced anyway....even with cryosurgery.  For now I am sticking with
Lupron injections.

Zeus had insulinoma.  It was just in the beginning stages, and although
hesitant to have Zeus go through the operation, I did it because I thought
it would be best for him.  He had a heart attack right before they put him
under.  Apparently, he also had a heart problem which was undetected by the
stethescope and blood work.

Tookie has had 3 operations on a recurring lump in her throat.  Tubes have
been inserted for drainage, yucky stuff has been scooped out, etc, but
after a short time, the lump returns, making it difficult at times for her
to eat.

The ONLY successful operation (successful meaning that it actually took
care of the problem) I've had is having a horrible looking lump (1-inch
wide) removed from the end Buzz's tail.

Because of my dismal record in recuperations, I'm hesitant to put Pongo
through an operation to correct his insulinoma.  He had no signs of
insulinoma until he had a seizure.  I just read Bruce Williams post on
treatments for insulinoma, which is making me think about getting an
operation for Pongo, but I am still hesitant.  After everything that
has happened before and the pain that I see the ferret go through, I'm
debating the quality of his life, versus that quantity of his life.
Pongo is 4-years old and is currently being treated with .4 pediapred,
and of course, ALL my ferrets enjoy Bob Church's *famous*> Chicken Gravy.
So back to my opening statement.  I don't know what to do....and I know
no one can tell me, but perhaps someone has an opinion.  If it was a
life/death situation, of course I would do surgery, but at the moment
Pongo acts healthy, eats, plays, sleeps and poops - same as Abu was
before his surgery.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.