From:
Patti Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:29:17 -0800
Re: Scratching at the carpet

A few weeks ago Ginger (14 months old) began her formal training in door
physics 101.  I observed Butter do this years ago but just thought he was
my genius child.

Ginger laid on her side by the open bedroom door while I was brushing my
teeth.  She very deliberately placed her paws on one side of the door and
pulled.  Quickly standing up, Ginger solemnly observed the movement of the
door as it swung open.  When the door stopped moving Ginger walked over to
the now wide-open door, laid on her side, and pulled the door the other
way.  She again immediately jumped back and stared straight up at the door
until it stopped moving - this time almost closed.  This was repeated
three times.  Then she tilted her little head and went to the bare patch
in the carpet; earnestly dug for a second and then quickly stood up and
very expectantly watched the door.  She seemed somewhat mystified that
digging didn't also cause the door to open.

All these nights at 3:00 in the morning the little darling thought she
was working her ferret magic on the door to make it swing open!

Patti
Butter "I think they should make doors that always stay open."
Ginger "There must be a better way."