From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:20:23 -0400
Hi, everyone,

Pertwee, our nutty, lovable, exuberant, deaf albino ferret began showing
signs of adrenal disease again just two weeks after surgery to remove his
left adrenal gland.  We were very concerned because, if you remember my
post, that tumor proved to be malignant.  Well, today, five weeks after the
original surgery, Pertwee's right adrenal gland was removed.  The mass was
much larger than the one removed with his left adrenal gland just five
weeks ago, and at that time the right looked perfectly normal.

The good news is that Pertwee came through this surgery just fine, is
awake, and is eating already.  We'll take him home tonight, and then back
to the vet for observation in the morning.  He'll be on medication for the
rest of his life, but that's a small price to pay to keep him alive and
well.

The other day I received a note begging for money for another ferret's
adrenal surgery.  What bothered me most is that the person begging me for
money or fundraising ideas goes to an excellent vet in this area who will
set up a payment program in situations like this.  I guess she just didn't
want to spend her own money for *her* pet.

This kind of thing, and the regular "I can't afford to take care of my
ferret" posts here on FML make me quite angry.  Between all the tests
Pertwee went through to find out why he lost so much weight before the
other adrenal symptoms became obvious, his first surgery, follow-up vet
visits, and now his second surgery, keeping him alive and well has cost
me about $1,700.  This is immediately following Kerr Avon's adrenal surgery
in February.  My ferret medical costs this year have been over $2,200.

The thing is: I always knew this could happen, and I was prepared for it.
I am decidedly middle class, not rich by any means, but I took steps to
make sure I could take care of the ferrets who depend on me for their very
lives.  I even got an extra credit card just for their expenses in case my
preparations just weren't enough.  Being able to give required medical care
is part of being a responsible ferret owner.  There is no way to evade that
responsibility: if you own ferrets, it's yours.

The woman who wrote me begging to "save" her ferret said she is "a good
ferret mommy", yet she can't pay for $500 worth of medical care.  To me,
that is not a "good ferret mommy".  That is an irresponsible pet owner.
Am I being harsh?  You bet!  Reality is often harsh.

Please, before you add any ferrets to your business, or if you are a
potential new owner reading the list, make sure you are prepared to take on
the financial responsibility for your pets.  For me and for Keith, Pertwee
is a beloved member of our household.  He keeps us sane, and I cannot put a
price on what that's worth.  Keith and I are incredibly grateful that he is
alive and is going to be well.

Regards,
Caity and the ecstatic eight