From:
Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:48:06 -0400
This may be either too simple...or ineffective, but why couldn't a vet use
a tuning fork to determine the amount of noise that a ferret responds to?

I'm sure they deal with other animals that have hearing loss besides
ferrets, there must be some protocol to determine deafness?  Any vets on
the list have time to mention what they do?

I suppose I'll ask my vet next time we go in for checkups.  The last trip
there was the first for my deaf Blaze and my vet didn't argue or question
my discovery that he was deaf.  NO response to vacuum cleaners, he doesn't
stop play if the door is opened (the others come running at the sound), or
if the phone rings.  He's also the only one that will do the sleeping/not
dead trick.  He doesn't respond to being called verbally, but he will turn
around if I drum my hands on the carpet..and usually comes to me that way.
And of course, telling him no does..no good.

Flake is also my most loving ferret, I wouldn't trade him for the world.

Robynn and the Fearsome Foursome