From:
Simon Anthony Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:54:11 +0100
Ferrets in the UK originally all lived outside in hutches and Barns and
Sheds, mainly with Gamekeepers, being fed fresh Rabbit, Bread, Milk, or
knuckles of meat from kills of the Gamekeeper.

Now they are an addition to pets in the home as in America although some
are still kept in Hutches and Avairy type constructions in residential
gardens, coming out for walks and play indoors and out....not fogetting
cuddles.  They are still very much used in Rabbit control where Farmers
have a problem with crop destruction, this is very much the tradition of
the English Ferret.

Some Ferret owners have constructed litter trays in the corners of there
living rooms and proofing measures where there is a danger to the Ferret
getting hurt and the hutches are situated indoors for night time sleeping.
Some Ferrets are permitted a drawer in a chest of drawers to sleep in!
There is still a lot of primative keeping of Ferrets by "Old Boys" who
don't know any different about keeping Ferrets, conditions of which would
shock the likes of you or me!

Ferrets in Europe seem to be robust to the cold weather, even those in
Sweden and cold season countries like that.  I always cover mine over at
night with thick tarpaulin.

Ferret food still varies, Dry complete food, sometimes combined with fresh
Rabbit, dead, day old chicks, salad, fruit, Minced meat, Bread soaked in
Milk(this last choice is the worse diet in my opinion).  Breeding, in
Oxfordshire, I'm glad to say, is at an all time low as last year more got
stumped for finding homes for the young.  This year, demand outstripped
supply with Coventry Petsearch re-homing over 60 kits and still have names
on the book awaiting to become owners of the most interesting pet ever,
the FERRET!

Simon, Berty, Ferty, Tom, Bubbles, Phoebe, Mitsy, Scooter
Banbury Independant Ferret Welfare, UK
freespace.virgin.net/simon_anthony.dyer
ICQ #41809859