From:
Cynthia & Colin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1993 13:43:37 -0400
Bad news from the vet this week, it seems that our 7 yr. old female, Anais
is on her way out.  She's got an insulin-secreting tumor *and* has moderate
kidney damage.  They have recommended that we not attempt surgery for
the tumor b/c she will eventually suffer renal failure anyway & possibly
wouldn't make it through the surgery.  So, we are giving her prednisone to h
help her blood sugar levels & feeding her nutri-cal every few hours (when
we're home to do it that often).  She's on electrolite replacement solution
(oral for now), and Prescription diet k/d to ease the strain on her kidneys.
So far she's just tired alot, runs out of energy pretty quick, but is
otherwise alert.  She had a seizure the other night from extremely low
blood sugar levels (that's what brought us to take her in).  The vet
says that she could last anywhere from months to (maybe) a year.

Any suggestions on other treatments people know about, or vets in the VA/DC
area if this treatment doesn't sound right?  Similar experiences & how long
the ferrets lasted?  Another note, our vet says that she used to see ferrets
living 8-10 years & they're now petering out around 4-5 years, inbreeding
she thinks.

These vets are the most knowledgable I've found so far so if you're in the
VA/DC area you might want to try them:  Old Dominion Animal Hospital, McLean,
VA, 703-356-5582.

Please respond quickly if you have info on these diseases, I'll scan the
archives soon, but in the meantime...

Cynthia, Colin (people), Anais & Mr. Bojangles (weaselettes), & Guinness (dog)