From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 09:58:45 -0400
Kristina writes
>What are people's thoughts on the EVO?

First, my thoughts on cat food vs. ferret food: Most cats foods are not
appropriate for ferrets; they are too high in grains and too low in
meat protein and fat.  (Some ferret foods aren't very good for ferrets
either!)  But I think some of the best cat/kitten foods are probably as
good as some of the better ferret foods.

While cats are better able to process carbohydrates than ferrets are,
they are still carnivores, and I imagine the natural diet for our kitty's
wild ancestors is very similar to that of wild polecats: small rodents,
birds, etc.

EVO in particular looks very similar to Pretty Bird's Natural Gold ferret
food--high in meat protein and fat, low in carbohydrates, potato as the
main starch, and added probiotics.  Unlike the Natural Gold which my
ferrets won't touch, they seem to like this.  I will probably use it as a
regular part of my mix now.  I generally mix 3-4 foods including Totally
Ferret, Zupreem, Mazuri, 8 in 1 Ultimate.

By the way, at the Symposium, the Ferret Depot had a bag of the new
8 in 1 Ultimate food.  While it is now higher in protein (45% I think
the bag said), the fat content went down from 19% to only 16%.  Seems
rather low to me.  Anyone gotten a new bag of this?  There is no info
on 8 in 1's web site about the new formula.

Linda Iroff

International Ferret Congress
http://www.ferretcongress.org