From:
Anna Carolyn Abney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 13:32:40 EDT
>How do I keep the kitten from eating the ferrets?

Your adult ferrets are far more likely to eat the kitten.  My youngest
cat is 7 weeks old and was 4 weeks when she got here (rescued from the
side of the road where she lay with dead mother and dead littermates).
She is not allowed in the room when the ferrets are having playtime.
Once she is older, and stronger, and no longer smaller than the ferrets,
she'll be allowed to play with them.

The important thing with introducing cats and ferrets is to provide
plenty of places for both to escape to.  Hidey holes for ferrets, high
places or ferret gates for cats to jump, etc.  More than likely the
ferrets will harass the cat rather than the other way around.  Some
kittens are more feisty but in general, cats are gentler than ferrets
and more easily offended.  My adult cats (I have 8 adults) outweigh my
ferrets significantly, more than 5 times their size in most cases.  But
without fail it is the cat who runs from an altercation.  Ferret play is
just too much for most cats, even my super cocky, 1 year old adolescent
male studmuffin Nathan, who thinks he is the alpha male king cat.

Anna and Shar, Se'lune, and Tyr
Greenwood, SC
See my foster kitties in need of loving homes at
www.holisticat.com/rescue1.htm