From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 11:19:32 -0500
I have 4 rescues, ages 6 months, 9 months, 3 years and 3-5 years.  No one
has ever had a sick visit to the vet.  The oldest had a cold that lasted 3
days, but was still playing.  Ferrets are like all mammals, as they get
older, they tend to be weaker and more susceptible to disease.

Many post here (FML) about diseased and sick ferrets as they are looking
for help and comfort.  Many, and I would dare say the majority) have
healthy carpet sharks who dook their little brains out!  Keep in mind,
they do get sick, just like we do.  Just as we sometimes have to go to
the doctor, so do they!  Put a little money away just in case or get pet
insurance.  Keep them on a good diet, preventative care, let them have a
good light/complete dark cycle, and you should have years of healthy
ferrets.  Just remember, when they get older, they need more support.  My
elderly cat just passed.  She had 13 years of problem-free health.  The
last year, we spent around $3000 on medical expenses.  It was worth it to
try to help her be comfortable the last year for the joy and love she gave
us for the previous 13.  Ferrets are the same.  Expect to spend the money,
especially as they get older, but they are not as sickly as a group as
sometimes it seems!

Gail