From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 07:50:41 -0400
>From:    "M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bad Pet Stores

If anyone encounters a pet shop where they feel the animals (not just
ferrets) are not being kept properly, this is what you should do.

1.  Ask to speak to the manager.  See if they are willing to hear you out,
accept information free that you can print off the FML and the FAQs, and
make an improvement.  After all, the customer is always right.

2.  If they DON'T want to listen, then say no more.  Just walk out, without
purchases, and call the closest Animal Control / SPCA / Welfare league,
etc., and report the pet shop and conditions.  Ask that a warden or officer
be sent out that day or at the very least, the next morning.

3.  Tell your friends and all the pet clubs you can find about the treatment
the animals, as well as a customer, encounter at this store.  You will be
surprised at how well word of mouth works in tight networks like animal
people.

Some pet shops need to be ratted on several times before they get the
message.  Be persistent and vigilant.  Now for the bad news:

You can't go reporting on things like cedar chips in cages or using fish
tanks for ferret housing.  As much as we KNOW these are no-nos, there is
nothing in the Animal Welfare Act or local jurisdictions that usually forbid
this type of thing.  You have to see heat stressed animals, missing water or
food, contaminated water or food, obviously ill animals, etc., to get
official action.

Education is the key - politeness is the way to open the door.

>I have a request of information from Pam Grant.  In your "Ferret Care an d
>Shelter Handbook", there is a recipe for insulinoma.  My problem is this, I
>am unable to find some of the ingredients listed, ie: "Probalance, Chelated
>Chromium, and Pet Tinic".

Pro Balance - I think I used to get this from Jeffers (1-800-JEFFERS) or a
local pet shop...

Pet Tinic I found in the Drs Foster and Smith catalog - 800-826-7206 - & the
Discount Master Animal Care - 800-346-0749 (a little cheaper here) - it is
in the vitamin / diet / nutrition section.

Chelated Chromium sounds like something from a health food store - you'll
have to ask Mary Van Dahm on that one.

Pam Grant