From:
sandy robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:00:16 -0700
Let me start at the beginning.I went to GA to pick up 2 5.5 yr old
ferrets that were given up.They've always been fed MF food,kept in pine
shavings.One tipped the scales at 5.8 lbs,the other at 1.1.They both
started signs of shelter shock so I started treating for it.These 2 have
NEVER been to a vet before.Had my vet ck them out,everything looked
good,except needed to put weight on one,quick!Lungs,heart,everything looked
good.He sais to bring them back in a week to do shots.Get them in better
shape in that weeks time.Ok,this was this past Wensday.Go to work,come home
to find that Cain's eyes are matted shut.I called my vet & he said to wash
several times a day.Thursday night when I got home,no more matted eyes.BUT
I saw dried blood around his nose & he was having difficulty breathing.I
put some Pet Rx under his chin & that seemed to help.I'd also noticed that
almost all of his underside is bald.When I first got him a week ago,he had
sores on his belly from rubbing it on the carpeting.He was so fat.Called my
vet last night & he was not able to be reached.In my area,there's not but 3
that see ferrets.One has killed 2 of mine with her knowledge.Of these 3,my
vet is the most up on ferrets.So,I called several other vet clinics in Fl &
Ga.They told me to do what I'd already been doing & to take him in to my
vet in the am which I did.  Vet looked at Cain who has lost down to 3.7 lbs
in 2-3 days.Very listless,won't eat & when I force feed him Chicken Gravy &
Timmy's Tonic,he gags & wants to vomit.Vet said he thinks it could be
Distemper.I don't think so as his cagemate has no symtoms & has gained
almost a 1/2 lb since being on the gravy.This is where all you great minds
pull together & help figure out whats going on with Cain.I've given my vet
a copy of Ferrets,Rabbits & Rodents & he's checking to see what else it
could be.In the meantime,I'm keeping Cain isolated & warm.He gets a 1/2
tablet of Orbax & I must take him to the vets every morning to recieve an
injection of an antibiotic.And to monitor any other things.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Please say some fuxxy prayers that this kissy,huggy guy makes it from
whatever this is.Thanks everyone for any & all help.

Please help me help our ferrets,please go to
http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=7034&mid=87673
or visit http://www.geocities.com/sandi14r/fuzzslave.html