From:
outlawdook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:19:56 -0700
I received the new 2nd Edition of Biology Diseases of the Ferret by James
Fox, a few days ago.  With any new book I start reading it.  Since
"Carnique" doesn't say what raw meat, I would be wary of using it.  Bob C.,
you may comment on this info from the book to help clarify or correct the
author James Fox.  Not knowing what the ingredients in "Carnique", I would
take into consideration these findings; Steatitis, feeding of excessive
oily fish; Osteodystrophia Fibrosa, feeding all meat with no calcium
supplementation; Thiamine Deficiency, feeding of fish and/or raw eggs;
Mercury Toxicity, from tissues of chickens fed methyl mercury-dressed
wheat, I'm guessing uncooked - book does not specify; and in Arginine-Free
Diets result in profound clinical and pathologic abnormalities.

I'm not a vet, even though that was my dream once.  But IMO, since ferrets
are domesticated and not your Zoo variety, I'd stick with a Premo Ferret
Diet of kibble and COOKED chicken as Bob C. has stated.  I would be leery
of the mice thingy, as I would be with unreputable ferret breeders.  Mice
can carry Plague from flea bites.  That is also in the book.  I know Bob C.
would never put his furkids in danger, but paranoid I may be, I couldn't
have a snake to even feed a mouse to, yuck.  Any comments are welcome.
Flames get the delete key quickly.

To those with sick furkids and ones who have lost furkids, my thoughts and
prayers are with each and everyone of you.

OutlawDook and the Dookmeisters 19