From:
Matt Ouimette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 10:10:00 -0700
> Date:    Thu, 6 Apr 1995 08:07:58 -0600
> From:    Monica Istvan <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Identi-Chip
>
> It's a little glass capsule the size of a grain of rice with a little chip
> that reads a number when scanned by a reader device.  The chips were
> originally designed by the army to identify solders, but in humans they found
> our skin and sub-cutaneous tissues do not hold the chip in place, and it
> migrated, but in animals it was quite secure.

I don't know what you're basing that on, I must admit - I personally don't
see how 'animals' in general just happen to have different tissues than we
humans.  Myself, I'd worry about migration, but STILL might chip if I could
be sure it would help my pet.

> There are currently 2 companies providing service, IDENTI-CHIP and PET-NET,
> but I can only locate 1 number right now....
> Cost of implantation varies from vet to vet, but they tell me it
> is approx. $20 - $30.  The Lifetime registration fee for one (1) animal is
> $10, and Lifetime registration for 2 or more critters is $25...

In Utah we had a problem with this last year - it seems there were *5*
different companies producing chips (That may have changed), and the scanners
and chips were NOT compatible with one another.  Between that and the county
attempting to make microchipping in ferrets (JUST ferrets) MANDATORY, we had
to oppose the ruling (The extra 35$ or so for the microchipping, on top of
the 150$ - 200$ ferret price tag was also a problem.

  While microchipping MAY be a good alternative form of identification,
until there is some standardization in the field, I myself am still a bit leery
about the whole prospect

Matt O.

> From:    Shelly Nice <[log in to unmask]>
>
> That's it.  After 14 months, I'm done with the list :( Too long and seems
> to be a lot of kemche going on....

Considering that we've now had a NUMBER of `the list is too long` statements,
might it now be time to give SERIOUS thought to a usenet newsgroup for those
who just want short postings? - those of us who like the longer list can stay
here, and anyone who wants could just read the newsgroup!
Is now a good time to really give it some thought?
Matt O.

> From:    JJ Streicher <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: ferrets and San Fran.
>
>... My question is, does anyone know of or would recomend a vet. in the
>Alemeda-Berkly-San Fran. area?...

I too live in San Francisco, and would appreciate the info!  (I haven't
smuggled my fuzzies in yet, but I'm planning it in the near futture - I'm
having ferret withdrawals!
 - JJ, How are you driving in with your ferrets?  I-80?  If so, do you know of
the turnoff to take to avoid the agricultural stations?  (Where your ferret
could be confiscated if things went awry..)

> From:    Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Muzzling Ferrets
>
> The point is that ferret owners CAN do something.  They are the only ones who
> will.  If everyone waits for someone else to do it, it'll never get done.

And I must add a hearty 'DITTO!'   Ferrtes were banned in Utah until 2 years
ago, when I and some friends put together the Utah Ferret Association to try
and get things changed - after a lot of work (Some stil ongoing, for the last
county..) We got the state to see things our way.

 -Ferret owners CAN make a difference!

Matt O.     (I miss my ferrets!!!!)