From:
Deena Canal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 02:15:07 -0400
On May 2nd an innocent ferret was accidentally assaulted and put on death
row even though he was the victim.  We all banded togeather and spoke out
about how unfair this was, pleaded for common sense to prevail.  United over
our differences.

On July 12, this innocent ferret was put to death.  We rose up, demanding
justice, declaring our determinatin for all the world to see.  Finally,
enough was enough.  We demanded accountability.  We convinced politicians
and the news media to stand up and help us fight.

Today, well those policitican turned around to find the supporting crowd has
moved on with life's realities.

When was the last time you heard something about Kodo on the news?  When was
the last time you took an activist stand (I'm not talking about casual
conversation with your ferret buddies), With an estimated 10 million ferret
in the US, surely we have at least 1 million owners.  Do every one of those
owners know about Kodo?  It might be nice for the Jacobs to hear all the
fanfare about Kodo being a saint.  It would be nicer if they could actually
see that no more of their babies will be snatched away because of his loss.

We will eventually win this war in every state.  We need to decide at what
cost.  We can wage the war fearlessly each time another ferret is destroyed
until the combined actions of a thousand incidents finally make a difference.
Or we can fight just one time, with all our heart, all our determination.

Many little battles may be easier on the life and the time factors we all
are under and less boring and tedious.  It will be more costly in both
dollars and the number of ferrets destroyed to start over each time.

One battle, waged to the end.  When life gets in the way, take care of what
you have to do, but don't drop your sword.  Make the battle another part of
your life, (I hate doing dishes, I keep plugging away at them).  The more
our numbers grow, the less weight each of us has to bear, but if we take a
break, the person shouldering our burden will want a break and so down the
line, till only a few shoulder the burden and they will no longer be able to
lift the task to the light of day.

I love my babies, both my own and the shelter ones.  I want to protect them.
You also want to protect yours.  Let's not fall back now.  Let's not change
Michigan.  Let's change the US.

I read "Kodo is dead.  Long live Kodo." everywhere I turn.  Let's make it
happen.  Don't let the next Kodo be yours!

Deena