From:
John Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1992 12:23:56 -0400
Altruistic mode on...

The WWF ad for the Black-footed ferret T-shirts reminded me of something
I've been thinking about.  I thought it might make for a good discussion.
Talk is cheap.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION...

[John goes on to talk about human population control, captive animal
breeding and other environmental stuff.

I hate to do this but this is far off the topic of ferrets, and is likely
to promote a lot of other discussion equally far off.  I must cut you off.

There are other far more appropriate forums than the Ferret Mailing List
which is specifically about ferrets and a lesser extent about ferret
owners themselves.  If I were to allow discussion like this to start,
the list would change into something different.  Different from what
the subscribers wanted when they subscribed, and presumably what they
want me to enforce.

You'll get far more interesting discussion in rec.pets or sci.environment
or other areas.

Besides, talk may be cheap, but in this case, it's *me* that's paying
for it.

I let through black-footed ferret stuff because I *know* people
are interested in a close ferret relative.  I've let the
non-ferret stuff from Nancy (for example), because I *know* people
care about our members.  But...

This looks really bad.  In the 5 years of operation of FML, I've never
had to do this before.  Coming right after the "Great Ferret Recipe Forgery"
(GFRF) business (which was also a first), it makes me look like a dictator.

Sigh...  What next?  Advertisements for used cars in New Jersey leaking
in from AT&T?  AAAGGHHHH! ;-)  (That's a USENET joke for the non-netters)

Which is why I've elected to discuss completely out in the open.
Best way to keep people informed of the editorial policy.

Chris]