From:
Trish Gelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:27:08 -0700
Or "What to do when the going gets crawling"

For dealing with the insects in a ferret safe manner, I also recommend
Diatomaceous Earth (DE).

HOWEVER - use the food grade stuff.  Pool grade has a higher amount of
crystilized silica (I think that is the concern) and is unsafe for humans
or animals.

That said, I think DE is great.  It has reduced my fly problem with the
horses, I haven't seen nearly as many roaches around the horse food this
year, and ants have not been a problem at all.  The one time I did see some
ants coming up to the horse food, I dusted with DE and haven't seem them
since.  (I understand ants have been a big problem in some parts of the
city.)

I've had two times of seeing a few fleas here, each time dusting with DE
the ferrets and their bedding, and within a few days - no more fleas.

I am careful when dusting the fur-kids not to get DE in their eyes.  Of
course, anything that gets in the eyes can be irritating.

Good luck!

Trish & Crew (one short of a six-pack)
in sunny Phoenix
(but it's a dry heat, like a blast furnace.)