From:
Donald Rull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:15:31 EST
Hi Pamela!

I have my own recipe for Duck Soup that is taken from about 5 years of
experience and also some slight modification from Jackie Hawley's recipe.
I have had incredible experience with this recipe and would not use
anything else.

Here is what has become my recipe.  I make it the same exact way every
time as my kids can tell the difference if anything is off at all!!

1 lb ground turkey (I get the 1 lb. tubes from WalMart freezer section)
4 jars of Gerber 2nd Stage Turkey w/Gravy or Chicken w/Gravy baby food
1 can of Science Diet a/d
1/4 c Libby 100% pure canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix)
500 mg glucosamine (I simply open a pill capsule and use the powder)
4000 mg vitamin C (also in powder form or crush pills)
2 acidophilus capsules (also open the capsule and use the powder)
2 droppers of Pet Tinic

Now simply boil the turkey until completely cooked.  (You really can boil
for too long as the extra boiling just makes it more tender.)  Then in a
10 cup food processor combine all of the ingredients.  Additionally, add
8 baby food jars of the broth from the boiled turkey.  Process this until
it has become very fine.  Then, move the soup from the food processor to
a blender.  Now, blend it until it is even finer.

The consistency of the finished soup should be slightly watery.  My kids
seem to like it better than when it is thick and if they are ill it gives
them extra fluids to avoid dehydration.  This means you can add extra
broth to adjust the consistency.

Now, you can skip the food processor step, but I would strongly
discourage you from doing this unless you have some kind of a super
blender.  I have always wanted to try it with a Vita Mix, but any other
blender I have ever used regardless of power or price, without using
the food processor first, has quickly died.

Finally, I make a huge batch of soup as this can be quite a process.  It
usually takes me at least half a day form start to finish.  The soup only
lasts a few days if just kept in the refrigerator.  So, I use the baby
food jars and other 4 oz.  containers that I have bought form WalMart and
the Dollar Tree to hold individual portions and then simply stick them in
the freezer.  This way they cans imply be taken out as needed.

I have also found that my kids strongly prefer warm soup to cold.  So
I microwave it and test it with a finger just like you would baby food.
It can be slightly warmer than a baby's food would be though.

You can also add any medications to this soup and it seems to be, by
far, the easiest way to get them to take it!

I hope this helps!

Oh, you can also search the web for Duck Soup and you will come up with
any different recipes.  I avoid the recipes with kibble in them as I
thin there is no kibble that is a perfect recipe for ferrets.

That's if for now!

Don Rull
Dook Dook Ferret Shelter and  Rescue