From:
Ann Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 05:41:36 -0800
Let me start by saying, "Hello." Right now I am trying to drink enough
coffee to make it through today, almost all ferret shelter people know
how this is. Frank is doing good this morning. He even started to fight
me when I washed his stitches off and put antibiotic ointment on them.
That is a good sign. Right now he is sleeping on a snake heating pad
with a cover over it and another cover over him. I am just glad he is
sleeping. We are sub-qing around the clock in small amounts. We also
have to keep him cleaned and lubed up from five to six times a day. He
also is being force fed small amounts frequently. Hence the tired part
in the begining of this.

As you may have heard Frank had over twenty kidney stones removed from
his kidneys and urethra. Due to scaring he had to have a new opening
made for uninating. He is a very brave and good boy. We had Frank for
only a couple of months when I noticed his stomach was hard. Being a
shelter mom I gave him some ferretlax and kept an eye on him. He was
peeing and pooping. Then the other morning he was in the litter box
straining and nothing was coming out. This was when I took him to the
vet and he did x-rays and found the stones. My vet believes it was
diet, and I am also thinking that is what it is. When I was introduced
to the estimate I wanted to cry. We just had several surgeries and vet
vistis. My shelter account was dry. I put the deposit down of $200.00
and prayed it would go through on my personal account. It did thank
god. I then called Cheryl Lemmon in Virgina and told her what I did.
She posted on the FML and sent my vet $100.00 towards the bill. I
forgot I aslo texted my hubby and he said we will find the money
somehow. This coming from an accountant, lol. I also Called Cindy
Scheidt, was I trying to hold it together, yes I was. I told her what I
had to. It is very hard for me to ask for anything from anyone. I am
the type that helps people and then hides what is wrong with me. I try
to be strong for everyone else. That's me. Cindy started making calls,
for I am sure that if god owned a ferret she would have his number,
lol. I also called several people myself and asked for help. My hubby
and I were going to use our house payment for the surgery money. I know
this sounds stupid to you, but we have never been late on any payment
and sometimes you have to do what is right not what is safe. Some of my
friends thought I lost my mind. This was not my personal ferret and
Frank is 5 years old. I am glad that my freind told me what they felt,
but ultimately the decission was already made and come hell or high
water now I must do what I have to. I know that all shelters have fund
raisers but I never did, I always tried to raise money in my community
or with education and donations. I also would skim off the top of my
grocery bill. My hubby knew but never said anything.

I went into the vet yesturday to pick my boy Frank up early and found
that the total bill was more than the estimate because of the new
opening they had to make. I wanted to cry until I found out that people
had been donating because of my friends. By the time we got done our
bill was a little under $200.00. So we did use part of the house
payment but not all. Then I got a call that people were donating even
after I picked up Frank. Not only were they worried about Frank but
they were worried about his bills also. That is why I am writing it is
to thank all of the people who have helped in the care of Frank either
by donating money to the vet, sending warm thoughts and prayers or by
just caring what happens to him. Frank is very much loved and blessed
because of all of you. You make me realize that what I do does matter
and not only to me but to all the ferret community. Thank you all,
because of your donations we have money at the vet and do not have to
worry about follow up for him. Thank you all so much from the bottom
of my heart. I never get to cry with tears of joy very often, so I
also thank you for that.

Thanks,
Ann Church

Ann's Ferret Shelter & Adoption Inc.