From:
Matt 'Guilty As Charged' Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 1994 21:58:09 -0800
Hi all... I am a total newbie to the world of 'carpetsharks', but am very
interested. I saw the FAQ in comp.answers, then signed up for the FML and
have been lurking for a few days. I am living in Irving, TX, where the
FAQ said the little rugrats were specifically legal, but illegal in
several of the surrounding areas. I also stopped by a local pet store,
and they had 10+ running around that they had just recently acquired,
most of which were about 7-10 weeks old.  The kits were neutered and
descented, as well as having had their Canine Distemper shots. The Pet
sore was asking $200 for the little guys. I've seen ads in the paper for
anywhere from $85 to $150, but I'm guessing these may not be neutered or
de-scented and/or vaccinated. So, my questions are these:

1) Is this a decent price?

2) Am I better off going with a breeder? (I would think so)

3) What is the right age to get if I am a first-time owner? I would like
   to get a young one, but I don't know that I could handle all the
   training. I am single and work all day, so I would only be around in
   the evenings and weekends. Would I have to keep him/her/them in their
   cage all day while I was at work?

4) It seems that almost all of the traffic on here is about illnesses. Are
   they _that_ prone to illness?

5) What else does a newbie who is interested learning more need to know
   and where do you suggest I learn it?

TIA for all constructive responses, and I apologize for all the newbie
questions.

Matt Gordon