From:
Lisa Whittleton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 22:05:38 -0800
Hello,

I haven't written much lately but I have lots to write about now.  I
finally rearranged my basement (my room) so that my ferrets have their
own "room".  It's been blocked off by some melamine boards and so far
it's working out great.  It's got a plastic runner floor (for accidental
poopies), some hammies, a scratching post, their supplies and their cage
for when they want it.  Strange to think that it took a year and a half,
one destroyed sofa, one destroyed bed, many scruffy looking patches of
carpet and about a million little brown stains to finally convince me to
do this.  What have I been thinking?

Anyways, my question is, is there anything I should be concerned about?
they do have free run of this "room" that is about 12feet by 6feet and the
melamine "wall" is about 2feet tall.  there are no vents nearby, and there
is nothing they can climb onto to climb over the wall, but maybe there is
something i haven't yet thought about.  If you have a similar setup and
there was something that caught you off guard, please share with me.

Also, my second thing is simply a comment: Not all pet stores are bad.
I'm always reading about horrible pet stores that do not care properly
for their animals.  Well, i work in one and we don't have ANYTHING in the
store that we don't know how to take care of.  Also, from a post written
way back when, if anyone ever came into my pet store and told me it was
"too difficult" to take care of ALL the animals properly, I would laugh
and tell them it is possible.  There is absolutely no excuse for any pet
store not to be able to take care of their animals 100%.  We do carry
ferrets and of our small staff of 7, 2 of us own ferrets.  We would never
have them in a glass aquarium, or with no toys or hammies.  Although pet
stores will always have a bad rap, not all of them are bad.  And it's one
of those things, I guess, where if you don't experience it, you won't
believe it.  So please don't walk into a pet store thinking we ALL have
bad intentions.  Really, I love animals just as much as you guys do and
I would never let one be unfed, unwatered, unloved or not have fun.  So
that's all.  No flames intended or anything.

Lisa and her two fuzzbutts, Cinnamon and Bentley.