From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 21:58:43 -0700
Jean and the Furblur Gang asked about Febreeze.

I've used it for several months, and like the product.  And I continued to
use it all during the time others were sending around the messages that it
posed a danger.  Properly used, I do not believe it is at all harmful.
However it has been rumored that people have stupidly sprayed the product
directly on animals - such as a wet, smelly dog.

I've sprayed it on the ferrets bedding.  Not on bedding about to be used by
the ferrets, but on sleepsacks that will be washed, just not right now.  If
I change bedding at night, but don't want to run the washer while trying to
sleep, I'll spray Febreeze on the sleep sacks, then leave them overnight.
In the morning the ripe ferret odor is gone.  I do, however, run the wash
cycle several times, to assure myself that all traces of Febreeze are
removed.

Febreeze comes in 2 "flavors" - regular, and industrial strength.  Get the
regular.  Industrial strength (that's a joke, it's called something else,
like heavy duty maybe) has a rather strong odor of it's own.

If anyone also has birds, I wouldn't use it though.  Birds have more
sensitive respratory systems.  I only use it to treat bedding before
washing, not on upholstry.  Jean, if you are thinking of spiffing up a
sofa that everybody's been napping on, I wouldn't use Febreeze.

I'm not trying to convince other people to use it who may feel uncom
fortable doing so.  I bought my first bottle (the industrial strength)
before any of the fallout showed up.  It probably adds to the cost of
ferret care, instead of being a money and/or time saver.  Also, I don't
use it all the time.  The bottle says to let it dry after spraying, so it
probably would not work well as a washing pre-treat.  If bedding is going
straight from the cage to the washer, I just use All Clear.

Georgia - the left coast one...