From:
STAR Feret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 18:31:18 EST
>From:    zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane
>>Subject: STAR* resource listings updates
>>The database is so huge that I have to do this to keep only active ferret
>>resources - if you can't afford to spend .32 cents and a little time to
>>send me the info update, will you put any effort into helping others with
>>ferret questions
>Guess we get deleted then...

YES Zen, you will.  Some of the resources on the STAR* list are several
years old and I pride myself on keeping the list accurate.  Area codes are
changing all too fast and it does make a difference to people trying to
reach ferret resources.  Is your ferretry/shelter so destitute that you
can't afford a stamp, envelope and time to return the survey, as you have
done in years past?  We all know you have moved this year, but the AFA does
not publish addresses, so I have no way to update your listing unless you
send the info to me.  For those who wish not to have their home addresses
published, then I suggest a PO Box, or I can leave the address blank (I do
this especially for CA listings).  All I'm saying is that if a person is
active with ferrets, then they should take the time to make sure they are
represented correctly

>The AFA shelter list for example is kept up by the AFA and only wants
>permission to put the information in.  No active role is needed by the
>shelter other than responding to a phone call from Fran Wiles is required.

And the AFA list is outdated by 20% most of the time.  Fran and I have
discussed this before and I'm not going to repeat that conversation.  She
does not follow up annually with calls or letters to make sure the listings
are still accurate.  I mailed out over 800 surveys in early December and
have eliminated the contacts who's letters were returned.  50
surveys/resource updates have been returned to STAR* as of this writing.
These are the dedicated people, and I know more will come in as soon as the
holidays let up.  All I want to do is keep the database accurate - and with
an annual survey/listing update, I can.  If you don't want to participate,
don't go saying I didn't make every effort to reach you.  The survey went
out in my newsletter, in a mass mailing, and on the FML.

>If you no longer have the time to maintain such as list maybe you should
>turn it over to an organization like the AFA that does.

According to a letter I received from the AFA dated December 1997, if it
does not receive donations, the things "AFA will NOT be able to do in
1998... continue AFA's national listings of veterinarians, shelters,
breeders"

Thanks, but STAR* can maintain it's resource listing just fine without
donations.  I don't think what I ask from people (keep a listing current) is
unreasonable.  Obviously you do.

Pam