From:
- C J England <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 14:55:02 -0400
Dear Michael and Eddie,

You wrote concerning how to make your sleeper couch ferret proof.  There is
only one way I know...throw it out!!! :-)  Seriously though, we have one and
were very afraid something would happen to our babies.  We solved the
problem in two ways.

1.  We put 2 inch boards around the bottom sealing it completely off.  Works
like a charm.  That was the easy part.
2.  Now that the bottom was sealed off, the little fur balls figured they
could get in from the top.  The way we dealt with this was to cover the
couch.  You could either make your own, or buy a couch cover.  Ours, I made.
I took a single piece of material and covered the body of the couch.  I used
extra material to cover the pillows.  I did this both for looks, and the
fact it seemed to confound the fuzzes better.  Then I made an elastisized
skirt for the bottom.  However if I were to do it again, I would tie a
strong cord around the bottom to keep them out.  The elastic discourages
them, but they have been known to squeeze their way through when very
sleepy.  So now I use the cord with the skirt over it to hide the cord.