From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 09:04:53 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Rebecca Katlin Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fluffy Coat ferrets, My ferret was stepped on, Ear Biting

If the pet seems to have altered mental attitude, seems to be in prolonged
pain, any other obvious signs (e.g., gasping for breath).  Consider taking
to a vet.

>From:    Helen Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet quest. Adrenal: Surgery or Not
>A friend of mine has a ferret with typical symptoms of adrenal cancer, he's
>8 years old so as you can imagine they hesitate to put him through surgery.

Check out the FAQ on Adrenal disease. It'll answer all your questions and
more.

>From:    Patricia Burnette <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Spaying and Pregnancy
>Hi!  Can anyone tell me how to tell if my ferret is spayed???  She is about
>6 months old and I have an un-neutered male as well (at least he acts

There is not an easy way to tell on a female.  If she is a Marshall Farms
ferret, she is spayed.  At six months of age, I would wait to see if she
goes into heat.  If so, spay her.  On a male, look for the testicles (they
are obvious): no testicles = neutered.

>From:    Allen Patenaude <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New-owner questions

Yes, ferrets can catch influenza from people along with some types of
bacterial colds (like strep throat).  Keep sick people away from you
ferrets.  I have not heard of Advantage causing any problems with ferrets.

>From:    Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vaccine reactions
>OK, I'm a bit confused now about the reasons vaccine reactions occur.  I
>had thought that reactions were caused by the ferret's allergic reaction to
>a vaccine

Ferrets can have vaccine reactions at any booster shot, just not the first
or second one.  There are probably microscopic variations from batch to
batch (although proving this may be beyond the analytical ability of modern
science) that the ferret is reacting to.  So you can have a 'more vaccine
reaction' batch.

Again, remember that pre-treatment with an anti-histamine such as Benadryl
reduces the likelyhood of a reaction.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA